Monday, November 30, 2009

Why?????

OK, I'm warning you in advance this is going to be a depressing, anger filled post that has nothing to do with crafting, but has everything to do with what is in my heart......

When does the killing stop???? Four officers brutally murdered as they sat in a coffee shop. They didn't do anything to deserve this. They chose to work for their community, to serve and protect, to keep us safe, and they paid the ultimate price. All because the system failed. Former Governor Mike Huckabee of Arkansas let him out on clemency; the judges and criminal justice system there failed to keep him in prison after he violated parole time and time again. Our local judges for allowing him bail. His family for bailing him out of jail. Whoever allowed him access to guns. The family and/or friends that continue to help him and obstruct justice. I could go on and on. The system isn't working and it needs to be fixed. If you get sentenced to 3 years or 35 or 95 years, you should SERVE THAT SENTENCE!!!!! To heck with clemency. I don't care if you were 16 when you committed that crime. If the jury and judge saw fit to give you that sentence, you should serve it. So often the system is ruled by money and influence----if you have money and influence, you can afford to do anything and everything to buy your way out of trouble. If the State doesn't have money, it makes releasing criminals from jail a priority, regardless of the safety of the public.

This hit way too too too close to home. While I did not work with these particular officers, I did work with many of the surviving officers of Lakewood PD so this is "family". I am so afraid for other police officers in our area....actually officers of any jurisdiction----who knows when some other psycho is going to decide he wants to shoot some more cops. I am grateful for the class and professionalism of my department as they investigate this senseless crime.

Sorry for ranting on. My sincerest thanks to my friends Mert and Lisbeth for volunteering to handle my craft booth on Sunday after the tragedy happened. You are wonderful and I really appreciate the support.

No comments:

Post a Comment